Multiple road closures and traffic restrictions are expected along the marathon route. The B.A.A. has released the following town-by-town timetable of closures:
– Hopkinton from 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
– Ashland from 6:15 a.m. to 1:20 p.m.
– Framingham from 7:30 a.m. to 1:55 p.m.
– Natick from 7:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
– Wellesley from 7:30 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.
– Newton from 7:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
– Brookline from 8:00 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
– Boston until 7:00 p.m.
In Boston, street closures and parking bans wind through Brighton, Kenmore Square, and the Back Bay. Visit the city of Boston website for the full Boston Marathon traffic advisory.
T - Station Closures
- Copley Station is closed for the entire day. South Street, Kent Street and Saint Mary’s Street stations are closed from approximately 10 AM – 6 PM.
- The Red, Orange, Blue, and Silver lines will operate on a regular weekday schedule, with additional service before and after the race.
- Inbound: Service will end at Ruggles. We’ll escort riders through the Orange Line fare gates and provide free transfers to riders who continue on Green Line E. There will be no inbound service from Back Bay to Huntington Ave @ Louis Prang St.
- Outbound: Service will begin at Ruggles next to the Orange Line fare gates. There will be no outbound service from Huntington Ave @ Ruggles St to Back Bay.
For more information on marathon closures, check the MBTA website.
All Commuter Rail lines will operate on a regular weekday schedule. Shuttles will be operating between Salem and Newburyport/Rockport.
All buses will operate on a regular weekday schedule, but may be detoured. Route 39 service will be diverted to Ruggles, and buses will not stop at Back Bay. Riders will exit the bus next to the Ruggles Orange Line fare gates.
Please note that bicycles are prohibited on all MBTA vehicles, all day.
The RIDE and Ferries
The RIDE and ferries will operate on a regular weekday schedule, but The RIDE may be detoured to accommodate the marathon and related events.
RACE WEEK PARKING IN BOSTON:
- On-street parking in Boston's Back Bay is extremely limited during race week.
- Due to road closures and traffic congestion, spectators will not be able to park near the finish area.
- There are a number of parking garages in the area:
Garage at 100 Clarendon - garage is inaccessible during marathon hours on race day.
Prudential Center Parking (Huntington Avenue)
Copley Place Parking (2 Copley Place)
Boston Common Garage (Charles Street)- The entrance to the Boston Common Garage will close at approximately 2:00 a.m. on race day and will not re-open until 11:00 a.m. on race morning.